The Alamo Drafthouse case study
Question 5. Conduct a SWOT analysis to identify internal strengths and weaknesses as well as threats and opportunities in the external environment.
* Students leaving the area for summer and winter breaks
* Competitors in the downtown area (bars, liquor stores)
* Other theaters with a variety of movie genres
* Introducing technology (touch screen devices, such as iPads) for customers to place their orders and make payments (Will reduce the movement between wait staff and customer)
* Reward programs for frequent costumers (half off drink specials)
* Student entry discounts once a week
* Build sliding trays that are connected to the seats (gives more room to add extra rows for seating)
* Does not have adjoining or free parking
* Has half the number of seats for customers, due to the long dining tables
* Pen, Paper and menus are provided to customers to place their food/drink orders
* Most of the advisement is in the form of print and not internet
* Single screen movie theater
* Limited Locations
* Choice of in-theater service (alcohol beverages, appetizers, hot sandwiches, individual pizzas, pasta and deserts) and self service (traditional movie theater snacks).
* Wait staff visit customers and explain the function of the service system
* Located close to the center of downtown
* Special events are programmed in three months blocks
* Italian Western movie night’s results in all you can eat spaghetti. Silent films have live local bands performing.
* Film makers speak at special events
* Cost of tickets are priced at a median
* Less expensive advertising methods (close relationship with Austin Chronicle, free public relations exposure