Haemul Pajeon (Korean seafood pancake)
Serves 2 at 250kcal each
85g plain flour
100g prawns, peeled and cooked
1 red pepper, sliced
4 spring onions, cut into 3cm lengths
Small handful of fresh coriander, leaves and stalks roughly chopped
A splash of oil
For the dipping sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
½ tsp sesame oil
1 tsp caster sugar
A pinch of chilli flakes
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1. Beat the flour, egg and 125ml water together to make a thick batter. Tip in the prawns, vegetables and coriander and stir to coat.
2. Spray a 20cm non-stick frying pan with oil and tip in the batter mixture. Cook on a medium heat for 7-10 minutes, until the pancake is almost set and the bottom crisp and golden.
3. Flip and cook for 2 more minutes, until browned on both sides. Cut in half, and then cut each half into 5 fingers.
4. Mix all dipping sauce ingredients together and serve with the pancake.
YouTube Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y_eIk40wwuQ
Korean Bean Sprout Soup (Kongnamul Guk) Recipe
3 cups soybean sprouts, washed and if desired, roots trimmed
6 cups water or broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp salt
1 scallion or bunch of chives (optional garnish)
1 Tbsp Korean red pepper powder (kochukaru) (optional)
1. In a medium-sized pot, saute garlic in soy sauce and sesame oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add water and bean sprouts and bring to a boil over high heat.
YouTube Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iXCHOEPKqOs
Chapchae (Noodles with Beef and Mixed Vegetables)