SHC 33 Promote Equality and Inclusion in Health, Social Care or Children’s and Young People’s Settings
Outcome 1 understand the importance of Diversity, equality and Inclusion
1.1 Explain what is meant by Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
1- Diversity :
-The word diversity refers to the fact that we are all different from each other’s and , we don’t have same ethnic, culture background, gender, sexuality, age, religion, learning, different personalities and different abilities.
-That means each individual is unique.
* The word equality don’t mean here to treat people the same, is about treating people in a way that is appropriate for their needs.
* In a childcare every child has the right to equality of opportunity, that’s mean every child would be given the same chance and time to achieve the learning aspect because every child is different to another.
-There are many ways to ensure that your setting adheres to its inclusion policy;
- for example we can provide books, diagrams of word and meanings or flash cards with picture for children and families who don’t speak English to help them with communication, is part of breaking down barriers.
1.2 Describe the Potential Effects of Discrimination
* Is the unequal and unfair treatment of people.
* Usually on the basis of colour, gender, race, age, religion or disability
* This treatment can have effects on people which can be physical or emotional and sometimes it can be both;
* For example, disable children may not be given the chance to join in with an
activity due to the others children thinking that their disability prevents them from being able to do it this can make the child feel very different from the others.
* Other discrimination effects it can be :
* Feeling isolated
* Low self esteem
* Lack of confidence
* Fear of rejection...