MGT 3680 Organizational Behavior
Summer 2003 Dr. Abe
Midterm Sample Test. Use your CD to learn more.
Each question is worth two points.
1. Successful managers and entrepreneurs recognize that:
a. technical knowledge is all that is needed for success.
b. interpersonal skills are not important.
c. technical skills are necessary, but insufficient, for succeeding in management.
d. an understanding of human behavior does not impact effectiveness
(c; Challenging; pp. 2-3)
2. Behavior is generally _____ and the _____ of behavior is a means to making reasonably accurate predictions.
a. predetermined; observation
b. predictable; systematic study
c. controllable; theoretical application
d. uncontrollable; systematic study
(b; Moderate; p. 10)
3. Today’s managers and employees must learn to cope with temporariness – learning to live with flexibility, spontaneity, and unpredictability.
(True; Moderate; p. 19)
4. Rokeach found that the instrumental value of ambitious (hardworking and aspiring) people was related to the terminal value of:
a. a comfortable life.
(a; Challenging; Exh. 3-1; p. 65)
5. Veterans tended to be less loyal to their employer.
(False; Moderate; p. 66)
Suppose that you are a Human Resource Manager for Prentice Corporation who is in charge of developing a training program for managers coming to the United States from your Prentice subsidiaries around the world. You have decided to use the Hofstede Framework for discussing cultural differences that they might expect to find. Use your knowledge of the work of Hofstede to answer the following questions.
6. Your Indonesian managers will need to be especially aware of the difference that exists between their country and the United States in the degree of _____ of the two cultures.
a. quantity of...