ISA HELP BOOKLET
TUTOR GROUP: _____
YEAR 10 COURSEWORK – THE INDIVIDUAL SKILLS ASSIGNMENTS (ISA’s)
This assessment is worth 34 marks in total and consists of three parts:
A practical investigation and 2 written test papers.
It is worth 25% of the total marks for your GCSE
* You will need to do some research outside of lessons to find different methods that could be used to do a practical
* You should also research how the results of the investigation could be used in the given every day context. (E.g. the practical might be related to how things cool down and how the experimental results may help to produce a container that will keep things hotter for longer.)
* You have to fill in your research on a special form. Your teacher cannot tell you what to write. They can only tell you that you have too much information or too little.
TOP TIPS FOR PLANNING
* You must make sure you only write in note form on your planning sheet and use key words rather than full sentences.
* Only use the planning sheet that you are given and only write in the spaces provided.
* You might not need to find out about 2 methods. Your teacher will tell you.
* You need to find at least 4 different sources of information. Try and use a mixture of books and the internet. Your teacher might give you some to get started.
* Do your research in rough and then transfer the key points to your planning sheet.
* You MUST write down the full reference for any sources that you use on your planning sheet. So for websites, that is the FULL web address. (e.g. http://store.aqa.org.uk/sciencelab/AQA-GCSE-SCIENCE-COMMAND-WORDS.PDF) If it is a book, you need to include the title, author/s, publisher, edition, date published and the pages used. (e.g. AQA GCSE Science, Bone, Broadley, Gardon Hulme, Hocking, Mathews & Newall; Oxford University Press; 2011; pages 24 & 25)