Assignment: Lewis and Clark
The Lewis and Clark Expedition is a story as compelling as any fiction. The two-year journey stands as one of the defining elements in early American history, setting the patterns for further expansion and fueling the American passion for wanting to know what lies over the next ridge or bend in the river.
In this assignment, explore the “Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery” Web site. Then, use what you’ve learned about the expedition to compose a brief but thorough essay that addresses several elements of their journey.
Use this rubric with the Assignment.
|Tasks |Excellent |Proficient |Acceptable |Needs Improvement |Unacceptable |
|( | | | | | |
Go to the “Lewis and Clark: The Journey of the Corps of Discovery” Web site: http://www.pbs.org/lewisandclark/index.html
Explore the site then write a brief but thorough essay (2 -3 paragraphs) that addresses the following questions.
• Why was New Orleans “the one single spot” that made its possessor the “natural enemy” of the United States?
• How were the negotiations for the Louisiana Purchase conducted and what were the agreed-upon terms?
• How did Jefferson rationalize his obvious discomfort with his Constitutional authority and the needs to accomplish his goal of acquiring Louisiana?
• How did the records kept by Lewis and Clark reflect the purpose of their expedition?
• What was the expedition’s purpose and what did it accomplish?
Add your essay here:
|New Orleans was the “one single spot” that made its possessors the “natural enemy “of the US, because of the access to the Mississippi river |
|that was used in transportation of cargos in the US. In 1802 Jefferson learned that the Spanish...