MOD070 - Essence of Leadership
From 22 Jul 2013 to 13 Oct 2013.
Level and Credit rating: Level M, 30 credits
Study Hours: 300
The aim of this module is to appraise critically theories of leadership and how leaders act to influence others directly and also indirectly, by influencing organisational systems and structures. The module will include the opportunity to use diagnostic processes for assessing personal leadership abilities and organisational effectiveness.
By completing this module, you will be able to:
1. Evaluate the role of leaders in organisations
2. Evaluate critically different contemporary perspectives on organisational leadership
3. Demonstrate an understanding of a range of theories of group and team behaviour and team development.
4. Elaborate ways in which leaders can exercise influence in organisations.
5. Reflect critically on leadership behaviours for enhancing individual learning and development.
Assessment is by one assignment, a critical essay of 6000 words (100%) which integrates theory and practice. The assignment must include a clear structure with abstract, bibliography, appendices, and diagrammatic representation where appropriate. You must make appropriate use of journal articles, research papers and texts.
The assignment should contain:
1. A literature review of key theories of the nature and exercise of leadership in organisations
2. EITHER a) An evaluation of the behaviour of selected leaders in your organisation, or in an organisation (or organisations) of your choice, in relation to a range of models and theories: in particular, a critical assessment of how the leaders guide the behaviour of individuals, groups and teams
OR b) An analysis of how two leaders perceive their roles, and what has helped them develop as leaders
3. A summary of the learning you can take from this assignment for your own practice and development...