Dileepa Galagedera 02/14/14
Chemistry 106LB – 03 Ms. C. Chrissian
Lab 2 – A Library for Chemists
* Part I - Warm Up Questions;
* Graph #1: a plot made from an equation.
* Graph #2: a plot made from supplied data and an equation derived from the plot.
* Graph #3: A plot made from an equation; If the value of y is 0.12, the value of x would be (0.12 + 0.01)/ 0.008, or 16.25.
* Graph #4 – A straight line plot generated from a made up equation.
* Graph #5 – An equation generated from a made up straight line plot.
* Part II - Observations;
* Physical Proprieties;
1. Potassium Iodide: a white crystalline solid.
2. Zinc Mossy: made up of medium, irregular gray shapes.
3. Zinc Granular: made up of small metallic pieces. It is odorless.
4. Zinc shot: described as small balls of gray zinc, dull, silver color.
5. Zinc Powder: a dark gray powder.
6. Zinc Sheet: a rectangular, thin, sheet like metal, gray/silver.
* Solubility of solid iodine;
1. Solid iodine in 1 mL of water is slightly soluble, because the solution turns into a light brown/yellow color. However majority of the solid Iodine was left at the bottom of the test tube; which leads to the conclusion that it’s not reactive on water.
2. Solid iodine in 1 mL of potassium iodide is slightly more soluble. The liquid in the small test tube turned a dark brown color.
3. Solid iodine in 1 mL of alcohol is slightly more soluble. Residue still remains on the bottom and alcohol changed to an orange red color.
4. Solid iodine in 1 mL of mineral oil is slightly soluble. A small portion of solid iodine still remains in the bottom. The mineral oil in the small test tube turned a purple color.