History of kit kat logo and company
On August 29th in 1935 the first four finger chocolate covered wafer was manufactured and then launched in London and the South East of England as Rowntree's Chocolate Crisp.
The 4 finger Chocolate Crisp bar was the result. Its immediate success ensured that it was quickly rolled out all across the UK.
Whilst the product was an instant hit, the name was felt to be a little too long for consumers. George Harris, Rowntree's innovative Marketing Director introduced the KIT KAT name on the pack, re-branding it in May 1937 as KIT KAT Chocolate Crisp.
In 1942 Rowntree's had to alter the recipe of KIT KAT Chocolate Crisp due to shortages of fresh milk.
In order not to affect customer loyalty, the company produced a KIT KAT in a distinctive blue wrapper to avoid confusion. The oval logo was removed along with the 'Chocolate Crisp' descriptor and KIT KAT was written in bold type.
In 1949 with the increased availability of milk, KIT KAT returned in its striking red livery. At the same time the words 'Chocolate Crisp' were not reintroduced and the distinctive KIT KAT logo became more prominent on pack.
Donald Gillies, an executive at advertising agency JWT in London, developed the classic line:
"Have a break, have a Kit Kat" This was first launched in 1958 with four TV commercials and a press campaign. In the intervening 50 years it has become a genuine advertising icon and is now a registered property of our brand. Advertising agency JWT has worked consistently on the brand since its launch.
The brand received a further important boost in 1963.
The then UK brand manager, David Thompson, saw an opportunity to extend the brand into the chocolate biscuit section of grocery stores by creating a two-finger multi-pack.
In April of 1988 Swiss based chocolate maker, Jacob Suchard launched a hostile takeover bid for Rowntree. In the preceding years Nestlé had been discussing a collaborative working partnership with Rowntree, though...