ART – 102-099
February 26, 2011
Greek Architecture Assignment
In 1914 the cornerstone of the new Municipal Building was laid to replace the old Town Hall of West New York. This building was completed in 1915, and the architect was WM. Mayer Jr. The style that Mayer chose for this structure was Classical Greek architecture. Like the Parthenon, this building would be considered a Doric peripheral temple, which means that it consists of a rectangular floor plan. It does not have columns surrounding the building; but Mayer gave the illusion of the Parthenon with four Doric columns facing the entrance, and two wall reliefs of the column. The shaft of each of the four columns consists of drums which are stacked together. These Doric columns sit directly on a platform or what would be the stylobate which leads to the entrance of the building. There is no stereobate, the set of steps are attached to platform.
Going back to the columns, the necking of the column transitions to the echinus, which is not round like the typical Greek architecture; but it is followed by the abacus. Mayer also included an architrave followed by a dentil around the entire building. The interesting part of the top of the building is that Mayer did not stop at the cornice; he added what may be called a pediment. Now a pediment normally is a triangular section above the structure; instead he extended the building by adding a frieze at the top and around the building. The frieze at the entrance of the building it is broken up with spindles; and in the center is a carved sculpture representing our government.
This building stands out in the community because of its size, and feeling of grander. Having the columns on a platform, including the two reliefs, takes the eyes of the viewer to the top of the building and around the building. Mayer’s choice of structure gave this building the opportunity to be visually stately. The purpose of this building is to show the prominence...