AP Book Report
1. Title of Work: Fahrenheit 451
2. Author and date written: Ray Bradbury, 1953
3. Country of author: United States of America
4. Characters (label as major or minor) with brief descriptions of each; include at least two adjectives for each and brief commentary.
• Guy Montag: (Confused, misled) Guy is the main character of the story. He is a fireman, working to burn books and to contain the spread of literature around the world. He has a weak mind, as proved by being manipulated and easily swayed.
• Captain Beatty: (Manipulative, Cunning) Beatty is the captain of the fireman in Montag’s neighborhood. He is extremely devious and uses quotes from books and poems to attempt and push Montag to stay unresponsive, so to speak. He is a very contradicting person and strangely well-versed.
• Professor Faber: (Cowardly, Weak) He tries to wrestle control of Guy from Beatty via a two-way radio. He describes himself as cowardly but tries to help Montag. He is also trying to convince Montag to do what he wants.
• Mildred Montag: (Empty, Blank) Montag’s wife, she is extremely suppressed, as shown when she is not aware of her own suicide attempt. Her emotions are under heavy lock and key and what is left is an empty shell walking around.
• Clarisse: (Curious, thoughtful) A seventeen-year –old girl that Montag met during his walk home. She is very curious and questions anything and everything, which causes Montag to reevaluate his view on life. She is cast out due to her activity but doesn’t seem to care much for it.
• Leonard Mead: (Abnormal, Rebellious) Clarisse’s uncle, he was arrested one night for walking along a sidewalk, something that is considered abnormal in his time.
• Granger: ( Confident, Intelligent) He is the leader of the group known as the “Book People”. He is dedicated to reading literature and preserving them to memory in order to pass them on to the next generation. He has faith...