Cuban Missile Crisis
SEPTEMBER 29, 2012
The Cold War
* Mainly involved The USSR (communist) and the USA (Capitalist)
* Lots of distrust and suspicion
* The cold war was a period of tension between communism and Capitalism due to conflicting ideologies.
Capitalism | Communism |
USA, Britain and Western Europe | Russia, China, Eastern Europe |
The main source of production are privately owned and used for private property. | Everything is owned by the government (Community) |
Democratic | State controlled and a classless society |
Yalta Conference (February 1945)
* Involved Stalin, Roosevelt, Churchill
* There was an agreement to divide Germany into 4 zones. (Britain, USA, USSR, France)
* Reparations to Russia
* Elections agreed to be held in Eastern Europe
Potsdam Conference (July 1945)
* Involved Stalin, Atlee and Truman (who was less tolerant of Stalin than Roosevelt was)
* Disagreements over Germany
* Disagreements over reparations
* Disagreements over Eastern European Elections
→Tension had intensified between Russia and the West
→Everywhere there was disagreement. This set the tone for the Cold War.
This was a speech made in 1946 by Winston Churchill.
- Was an imaginary line behind which the communists were
The USA’s policy of Containment
- A US policy that aimed to prevent the spread of communism by becoming involved in any state perceived to be endangered by a potential communist takeover.
- It was a response to Russian takeover of Eastern Europe and establishment of Communist-controlled states.
- It was an opportunity for the USA to make a stand against communism and provide assurances to Europe (and the world) that the USA would not back down to communism.
Actions taken by the USA
| Truman Doctrine (1947)(Economic and military aid offered to Greece and Turkey) | Marshall plan...