Task A – Short answer questions
Ai Describe four different methods of communication (4 marks)
1. Verbal – Conversation – Talking is a really effective way of communicating. Asking questions to get answers for example.
2. Written – Notes, e-mails, texts etc - Letter writing has been used for generations as a form communication. More modern methods of this are sent electronically.
3. Body language – Facial expressions, hand gestures- When engaging with people taking time out to assess their body language can tell you a lot as to what might be going on in the background of their lives.
4. Music – Sublime messages- Music groups are a good way of getting people together and get them to communicate with each other.
Aii Identify five different reasons why people communicate (5 marks)
1. To give information
2. To receive information
3. To express how we feel
4. To help relationships grow
5. To develop knowledge
Aiii Give two reasons why it is important to observe the reactions of an individual using the service when you are communicating with them (4 marks)
If I observe the client whilst doing an assessment for example their reactions could indicate 1) If they are depressed 2) They are violent or could have the potential to become violent. This list is not exhaustive.
Aiv Explain why it is important to find out about individuals:
A) Communication and language needs (2 marks)
If a client for example is blind, deaf or can’t speak English and these factors are not found out or are ignored, it will result in the client not receiving the best treatment possible to them.
B) Wishes and preferences (2 marks)
Some clients for example may prefer to work with someone of a certain gender because they may have experienced sexual abuse in the past and are wary of a certain sex. Other clients may not be comfortable in group situations and only like 1 to 1 treatment. These types of wishes and...